- Join NACWA
- Board of Directors
- Member Agencies & Affiliates
- Staff Directory
- Awards Shop
- Clean Water Advocate Recognition Program
- Excellence in Management Recognition Program
- Hall of Fame
- National Environmental Achievement Awards
- Peak Performance Awards
- Utility of the Future Today Recognition Program
- Member Spotlight
- Association Governance
UotFT 2022 Cycle Begins March 28th
Honorees will be notified in July by WEF
The Utility of the Future Today (UotFT) recognition program returns for a seventh year to honor water resource recovery facilities for community engagement, watershed stewardship, and recovery of resources such as water, energy, and nutrients. The deadline to apply for recognition is May 20, 2022.
The UotFT concept is being promoted as the nation’s water systems transform operations through innovation and technology. The Utility of the Future is a model for utilities of all sizes to achieve more efficient operations, enhanced productivity, and long-term sustainability. More than 120 utilities have been recognized since the launch of the program in 2016.
The Utility of the Future Today activity areas focus on the key building blocks of this transformation:
- recovery and new uses of a range of resources;
- engagement as a leader in the full water cycle and broader social, economic, and environmental sustainability of the community;
- engagement in the community and formation of partnerships necessary for success when operating outside of the traditional span of the utility; and
- transformation of the internal utility culture in support of these innovations.
Public and private water sector utilities of all sizes that can demonstrate achievement of the application requirements are encouraged to apply by 5 p.m. EDT, May 20, 2022. Applicants must have no major permit violations in the year prior to the submission date of their applications.
Notification and Presentation of Recognition
Honorees will be notified during the summer and formally recognized during an awards presentation at WEFTEC—WEF’s annual technical exhibition and conference.
Since the Utility of the Future Today concept was introduced in 2013, many utilities have successfully implemented new and creative programs to address local wastewater technical and community challenges. The recognition program was launched in 2016 by the National Association of Clean Water Agencies (NACWA), The Water Environment Federation (WEF), the Water Research Foundation (WRF), and the WateReuse Association —with input from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).